A list, so in our textual communication:
- we won't miss anyone;
- the To: field won't look so dangerously full;
- everyone may easily write the others, or reply.
When appropriate one may add other addressees to the message, folks who are not subscribed to this listserver. So keep those few addies handy in your address book. Examples:
band leader, (perhaps all band members)
general info e-mail list manager
Callers only -- Why? So discussion truly doesn't bother others or is self-censored, as someone might do if they think it will bother non-callers.
How-To do things: DON'T PANIC!
SIGN UP, below. ONLY Address and Name are needed.
A Password will be assigned and you don't have much need of one. Hit SUBSCRIBE. Briefly await approval.
Put the List Address in your e-mail messaging program Address Book. Yes, this one email@example.com
Yes, right now is a really good time to do that.
MESSAGES will magically appear! Read, delete, respond, whatever
- Start/Make/Compose a NEW message for a new topic -- avoid Replying to a message to start a new topic. Enter the List address
- For those folks/addressees not on our list add them in TO: or CC:, when appropriate. (i.e. Band Leader)
- Much of the time you'll wish to use REPLY LIST which will go to all the Callers, via the list.
e.g. We're having a caller discussion about a point of technique. Talk to all the callers about it.
(- Don't have a "REPLY LIST" button? Use REPLY ALL, depends on your mail program. You might remove the originator addie, if they're on our list)
- Use of a "REPLY" button will send your message TO ONLY the person who posted (not to everyone). Appropriate sometimes, not always.
e.g. Someone is accepting agenda submissions for a meeting. They state that they will later make a post to all with a summary. REPLY will send to only them, not the list, which is what they're requested. Well done!
- Are there addressees, other than the list address to include? If you wish to include them in the "thread" then use REPLY ALL to reach ALL. (i.e. Band Leader, general info list manager)
ALWAYS look at the TO (and CC) field in your message before pushing Send. ALWAYS. Not just for lists. For e-mail, all messaging.
Those buttons aren't magic. They simply place the List Address and others (or not) in the To: and perhaps the Cc: fields. You can do that too! You're in charge
In general do not forward communications from the list in their entirety to those not on the list - only send the necessary bits; remove addressees; perhaps get permission of the originator
There is no archiving of messages by the list computer (server). There is no Digest Mode available.
Questions, please ask John
Subscribe to Callers by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. Once
confirmation is received, your request will be held for approval
by the list moderator. You will be notified of the moderator's
decision by email. This is also a private list, which means that the
list of members is not available to non-members.